Frequently asked questions
This is the technical FAQ. For the sales and licensing FAQ, click here.
- What hardware do I need?
- Does Lumion run fast on my graphics card?
- How do I reduce render times?
- How do I import my models?
- What models are in the Lumion Model Library?
- Why do I get a blue screen, a crash or error ‘NOT THE SAME’ when I start Lumion on my Laptop?
- Why do I get an Error ‘General connection failure’ message when starting Lumion?
- Why does Lumion need an internet connection?
- Is Lumion available on Mac?
What hardware do I need?
Check out the Lumion specifications page for hardware requirements.
Does Lumion run fast on my graphics card?You can check the performance of your graphics card here:
Recommended minimum score for simple scenes:
- 1.500 PassMark points
Recommended minimum score for complex scenes
- 2.500 PassMark points or higher
Very complex scenes in Lumion
- Minimum 5,000 PassMark points and 4GB dedicated memory
Also check our performance tips here.
How do I reduce render times?
Check our performance tips on the Lumion Forum
Why do I get a blue screen, a crash or error ‘NOT THE SAME’ when I start Lumion on my Laptop?
Please check if your graphics card meets the minimum requirements.
If it doesn’t, please use a PC with a graphics card that meets the minimum requirements.
If it has got enough PassMark points, and Lumion still crashes when you try to load a scene, please follow these instructions:
Please check the specifications of your laptop to find out if your laptop uses power-saving Optimus technology, ie, 2 graphics cards: a fast Nvidia card for 3D applications and a slow Intel card for word processing, web browsing etc.
The laptop will try to use the Intel HD card for Lumion by default, but this will cause a crash/bluescreen. The solution is to specify that Lumion should use the fast Nvidia card via the Nvidia control panel:
Click here for more info
How do I import my models?
Tutorials on importing can be found here:
Tutorials for importing from Revit, ArchiCAD, Allplan, Sketch-up, and more!
What models are in the Lumion Model Library?
Click here to see which models are included in Lumion Pro 3.
Click here to see which models are included in Lumion 3.
Why do I get a ‘General connection failure’ message when starting Lumion
Please click on the following link:
Does it say “LOGINFAILED”?
If not, it means that there is something wrong with the internet connection on your PC.
In other words, the problem may be caused by your firewalls, your router or your hosts file:
1) Please double-check that your Windows firewall (and any other 3rd party firewalls or internet security software) are not blocking Lumion.
2) Also, your router should be allowed to access port 80 (HTTP) when activating Lumion.
3) And finally, you might want to check that you’re not blocking internet access for Lumion in the Windows hosts file (right-click on this file and open it in Notepad):
Why does Lumion need an internet connection?
Lumion needs internet access over HTTP to our license server. It connects upon start-up and exit to respectively allocate and release a license. This system offers a user-friendly and fully automatic floating license system to both large and small companies.
We offer no other license management solutions.
Is Lumion available on Mac?Lumion only runs on a Windows operating system. This means you cannot run Lumion in OSX. You can install Windows on your Mac to run Lumion. To install Lumion on your Mac you first need to install Bootcamp.
Note that using Lumion on Mac machines is beyond official support. Act-3D gives no waranties and cannot be held responsible or liable for any unsuspected behavior of Lumion on Mac machines.